I created some signage using Photoshop and printed it out. I was inspired by several displays I saw on Pinterest.
There are so many things you could do with this display, I just love how it turned out!
Please feel free to use any of the templates.
Determining which MARC tags to use:
Our library uses Follett Destiny. Before we began entering information into the catalog, I contacted Follett to be sure we were using the correct MARC tag. I also followed up with a few google searches to be sure I was not missing something with the cataloging part of the project. I determined that we should use the 690 tag. It was repeatable and searchable through Destiny. For the indicator we used 5. At the advice of Follett, on the second line we used our school code with the 2 indicator. (Follett said out school code would be useful when creating reports). For each category entry that the title contains we add a new 690 tag. (We are entering the information exactly as shown : Gender: Male, we are doing this for two reasons: 1. If you do a keyword search on Destiny and just type in Male or type in gender the book will come up, along with any other books in your collection (fiction and non-fiction) that contains the word Male in the title/summary.... 2. If you only want to search your collection for fiction books that we have determined have a male protagonist you can search in a keyword search "Gender: Male" and only those books come up (There is a slight flaw here that you could run across a non-fiction book that has the words "gender" and the words "male" in their summary, you could also do a keyword search for "Gender: Male School code" and then you will be positive only the books you determined were male protagonists are found.) You can also do a bibliographic report using Gender: Male and your school code to get the specific books you want as well.
Finding information for each title:
Please keep in mind that we are completing this project simultaneously with our genre-fying project, To add the genre information we are already editing the MARC tags. Once we have added the genre information we then move on to adding the E & I information. Once everything has been added we save the title and update the call number. We have been using Goodreads.com as our main source of finding the genre. Once we have searched for the title in Goodreads we also stop and read the summary of the book. We then pull any E & I information given in the summary and we use that to update the MARC tags. If we can not find enough E & I information on Goodreads we are also using Titlewave, Shelfari, Amazon, Library of Congress and anywhere else (such as our local public library). If all else fails we pull the book off the shelf and read the back cover. Our goal is to get at least three categories of E & I information for every title. The more complete the better.